[CCWG-Accountability] Fwd: ICG Liaisons to CCWG Accountability

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Tue Dec 9 14:34:22 UTC 2014

Thanks very much Mattieu. I look forward to contributing.
I can provide a bit of context on the expected role of the ICG liaisons (myself and Mr. Kavouss Arasteh).  I hope this helps as we discuss the terminology of participation roles (member, participant, observer, liaison) on today's call.

·         In the ICANN Accountability process originally conceived by ICANN staff back in July, a two-tiered structure was proposed to include a  "Coordinating Group" and a "Community Assembly."

·         ICANN's proposed "Coordinating Group" included 21 representatives. The breakdown was intended to be 10 SO/AC community reps, 7 so-called "experts" (selected by the PEG) and 4 liaisons. The liaisons were to be from (1) ICANN Board, (2) ICANN Staff, (3) AoC/ATRT Expert, and (4) ICG.

·         While the community rejected ICANN's original proposed structure, some vestiges remain, including the inclusion of experts and the liaisons.

·         Subsequently, the ICG determined that the "ICG Liaison" to the Accountability CCWG should be a role, not an individual, so the ICG agreed that both Mr. Arasteh and myself would jointly perform that role.

·         To be clear, in our ICG capacity, we are liaisons, not voting members of the Accountability CCWG. When the ICANN proposed process was rejected by the community, it was agreed that any "experts" and "liaisons" would not have a voting role nor participate in any consensus calls of the CCWG.
All that said, I will perform my ICG Liaison function independent of my personal participation in the Accountability CCWG. I am not the official member representative of the GNSO Registries Stakeholder Group (RySG); Becky Burr from Neustar will have that role. But I will still contribute to the discussion.
I would encourage the members, participants and observers of the Accountability CCWG to identify and share any questions or comments related to the role of the ICG.
I'm happy to answer any questions on the above.
Best regards,
Keith