[CCWG-Accountability] Related work on ICANN's Public Interest

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Wed Dec 17 06:59:41 UTC 2014

Eric,

I agree with "redirecting users to fraudulent websites" not being relevant in these proceedings, as phishing is not a DNS issue per se.

However "providing false information ..." on WHOIS I do have an issue with.

False WHOIS information is not acceptable to me at all, but ICANN/IANA will have no longer any relationship with any ccTLD unless a contract exists between the two, and then it'll be 250-odd bilateral relationships at best. There is no ccNSO policy on WHOIS accuracy, so not even the members have any ICANN/IANA-bound (?) obligation.

 So I am not sure how we can put that in either.

I agree we are fairly safe in that California and Federal Law apply. But herein lies also a crux, Congress can legislate...

As an aside, I am putting money where my mouth is, we (NA-NiC) are looking at every single domain name registered with us (.NA) so that the Registrant/Admin Contact of each is correct. Our policy does not allow for false or obfuscated data, but we find regular issues.

greetings, el

Sent from Dr Lisse's iPad mini