[CCWG-Accountability] Related work on ICANN's Public Interest

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Dec 17 22:15:35 UTC 2014

Hi Becky,

Correct. These do not arise from the IANA Functions Contract, nor from
"generally accepted principles of law".

I'm attempting to make the point that the latter -- "generally accepted
principles of law" -- provides little if any basis for significant
activities of the contractor.

I'm also alluding to Malcolm's closing comment:
> We should be very careful not to create a sense
> that the narrow scope of ICANN's responsibilities for DNS is supplemented
> by a broader ambition to use the DNS to pursue a general and unbounded
> set
> of policies "in the public interest",
l attempt to show that even when the IANA Functions are as narrowly
construed as we can sensibly make them, "public interest" leads us to
larger ends than we originally had, or are reflected in the several IANA
Functions Contracts since 1998.

Regards,
Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon