[CCWG-Accountability] Related work on ICANN's Public Interest

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Dec 18 19:54:47 UTC 2014

Malcolm,

Earlier, you (and several others) offered several phrases containing
some qualifier and the word "law" as useful language to add.

My first point was to illustrate that neither "law" nor "contract" have
much bearing on the set of activities usually referred to as the
technical coordination of unique endpoint identifiers. Dr. Lisse made
much the same point as did anyone else asking "which law?", and by now
you've had a chance to see Becky Burr's comment.

My second point, which I think you've missed or I expressed poorly, is
that when we construe the IANA Function very narrowly, and informed only
by the commentary of the IAB, e.g., RFC 2826, historically significant
and broad reaching "public interest" consequences follow. Scripts other
than Latin now form DNS labels throughout the namespaces, addresses are
allocated according to some forms of equity of access, etc.

Restated, the mere stewardship of unique endpoint identifiers and
protocol parameters entails a significant public interest capability,
and responsibility. This was true prior to 1998 when Dr. Postel held
most the responsibility personally, and remains true after 1998 when
these responsibilities began a process of institutionalization.

I hope this clarifies my earlier note.

Regards,
Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon