[CCWG-Accountability] Work Area 2: inventory of accountability mechanisms, draft 4

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Mon Dec 22 14:46:59 UTC 2014

Dear Mathieu (and others)

Thanks very much for asking about the concept of Work Stream Zero (or “WS0”).  I should say at the outset that the concept is very much dependent on the scope of ICANN Board authority.  If we take seriously Dave Johnson’s suggestion, for example, that the Board might limit itself contractually to a narrow domain of authority then the requirement for accountability mechanisms scales back accordingly.  If, however, we are obliged to proceed as we are now (with the possibility that some future Board might vote to expand ICANN authority quite a bit beyond the IANA function) then the need for external accountability measures is much greater.

As I said in my first note to the Area 2 Working Group, the concept behind WS0 is derived from two instincts.  The first is the highly practical one that the CCWG will need to prioritize its proposals to ICANN.  If we ask for 50 changes in an undifferentiated mass, we are unlikely to achieve the goals we have of ensuring effective accountability.  In some ways WS1 and WS2 are intended to identify that sort of priority – but there the variable is “time to implement” the change.  The idea behind WS0 is that some changes (even ones that might take some time to effectuate) are absolutely vital to assure accountability going forward.

So my answer to your question is simple.  WS0 requirements are ones that are “red lines” for the community.  They are ones that, in the end, we think we cannot live without and that would lead the community to recommend against the IANA Functions transition until they were adopted by the Board.  So the “impact on the NTIA’s transition” is that these are sufficiently vital to community interests that failure to adopt them would prevent the transition from occurring altogether.

Thus, my argument is that WS0 forms the very core of reforms that are “required to be implemented” before the transition.  They are ones, without which NTIA’s transition should not proceed.

Some may think this is a null set.  I do not and have separately offered my own take on what is a WS0 requirement.  But whether one agrees on the content, I think the concept is a fairly explicit portion of our Charter.

Cheers

Paul

**NOTE:  OUR NEW ADDRESS -- EFFECTIVE 12/15/14 ***

509 C St. NE

Washington, DC 20002

Paul Rosenzweig

 <mailto:paul.rosenzweigesq at redbranchconsulting.com> paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com

O: +1 (202) 547-0660

M: +1 (202) 329-9650

Skype: +1 (202) 738-1739 or paul.rosenzweig1066

 <http://www.redbranchconsulting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=9> Link to my PGP Key