[CCWG-Accountability] CCWG-Accountability work team 2: draft 5.1

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Tue Dec 30 09:09:49 UTC 2014

Dear Bruce, Dear Colleagues,

Many thanks for pointing these covenants out Bruce.

Turning to David & Samantha as WA1 coordinators, wouldn't such generic
contract commitments by Icann qualify for our inventory of existing
accountability mechanisms ? I suppose we would need to assess what
options a gTLD registry would have if Icann were to not deliver on these
commitments ?

Best
Mathieu

Le 30/12/2014 07:16, Bruce Tonkin a écrit :
> Hello Paul,
>

>>>   I think Avri is exactly right – the solution set is binary.  If the Board/ICANN will accept in WS1 a proposl for a strong contractual boundary on what they may do along with an external mechanism that can be invoked by the community to police that boundary, then most of the other accountability can be in WS2.  But my current understanding is that the Board/ICANN will not accept such a proposal – indeed when I last spoke of it to a Board member, I was told it was “unnecessary.”
>
> I don’t think you should make that assumption yet.     There is a difference between the Board’s views in forming a new entity (Contract Co.)  to replace the NTIA, and the aboard agreeing to terms in contracts with the users of the IANA functions that may limit what it can do.    There are already requirements on ICANN in the gTLD registry agreement for example:
>
> From:  http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/agreements/agreement-approved-09jan14-en.htm
>
> "Article 3 "COVENANTS OF ICANN"
>
>   ICANN covenants and agrees with Registry Operator as follows:
>
>        3.1           Open and Transparent. Consistent with ICANN’s expressed mission and core values, ICANN shall operate in an open and transparent manner.
>
>        3.2           Equitable Treatment.  ICANN shall not apply standards, policies, procedures or practices arbitrarily, unjustifiably, or inequitably and shall not single out Registry Operator for disparate treatment unless justified by substantial and reasonable cause.
>
>        3.3           TLD Nameservers.  ICANN will use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that any changes to the TLD nameserver designations submitted to ICANN by Registry Operator (in a format and with required technical elements specified by ICANN at http://www.iana.org/domains/root/ will be implemented by ICANN within seven (7) calendar days or as promptly as feasible following technical verifications.
>
>        3.4           Root-zone Information Publication.  ICANN’s publication of root-zone contact information for the TLD will include Registry Operator and its administrative and technical contacts.  Any request to modify the contact information for the Registry Operator must be made in the format specified from time to time by ICANN at http://www.iana.org/domains/root/.

> [...]

Mathieu WEILL
AFNIC - directeur général
Tél: +33 1 39 30 83 06
mathieu.weill at afnic.fr