[CCWG-ACCT] Follow up from the last CCWG call

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Tue Apr 7 14:20:19 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I'd like to follow up from the last call for reconsideration being list as WS1 requirement.

As you can see from the chat record of CCWG ACCT Session #18 we requested for more time to consider it since it is the first time we see this and and this was agreed by the chair.
The current note from CCWG ACCT Session #18 call says "CONCLUSION: Reconsideration process is WS1. " May I suggest this to be revised as this is not consistent with what was agreed?

As a feedback on reconsideration process, I support we consider this as a group, move fast on drafting requirements, identify ways to address it.
At the sametime I have some reservations on making a decision at this point for this mechanims to be in WS1.

We have at this point identified as WS1 :

 - Enhancing ICANN's Mission and Core Values
 - Develop Fundamental Bylaw
 - Strengthening the existing independent review process, and
 - Mechanisms for community empowerment which includes "recall the ICANN Board of Directors", "approve or prevent changes to the ICANN Bylaws, Mission and Core Values", "reject Board decisions on Strategic Plan and budget"

It looks like we already have several core powers to ensure accountability of key decisions.

I support the group to continue working on this, progress as much as possible, but I would like to see an overall picture of accountability mechanism based on what we have identifies already, before adding more as WS1.

As a away forward, I would like to suggest that we continue working on this but to visit whether this should be in WS1 after we go through developing mechanisms for core requirements we have already identified powers for, have legal reviews, conduct stress test, rather than to make a decision at this point.

I would be intersted to hear if anyone have other thoughts on why we have to make a decision at this point that this needs to be in WS1.

Best Regards,
Izumi Okutani