[CCWG-ACCT] Suggested text for designaor model

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 05:14:09 UTC 2015

I am forwarding this email into the Legal Subteam for discussion and
possible referral to counsel.

In the "suggested text," which I've pasted in below, I believe the text
that I have highlighted and bolded is contrary to the advice we have
received from Sidley/Adler and in some cases may inadvertently misstate
that advice.  Rather than pick it apart here, I think it makes more sense
to discuss this with Sidley/Adler and then bring it back to the full list
or the next full meeting if need be.

Greg

SUGGESTED TEXT

f) Designators are a construct in California law that can achieve some of
the powers proposed below - *As ICANN's SOs/ACs struture is consistent with
this model,* "the selection and removal of Board members" and "the approval
or blocking of changes to bylaws" can be achieved by changing the ByLaws to
define the role of SOs/ACs as designators,* without the need to organise
unincorporated association. *But they cannot reliably deliver other aspects
of the set of powers the CCWG believes the community needs, *such as
statutory power for full board dismissal* and ability to have legal
standing in court for enforcement of rights, if it is to fully hold ICANN
to account.
Crucially, in the view of our counsel, *to have dismissal of the entire
board and for legal enforcement of rights in court, **would require some
additional contractual relationships between SOs/ACs and ICANN, which would
also oblige SOs and ACs to establish themselves into unincorporated
associations,* so some of the perceived simplicity compared with the
membership model isn't actually achievable.