[CCWG-ACCT] Ominous update on the IANA transition

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Apr 30 20:16:35 UTC 2015

I have heard enough from the numbers community to be pretty confident that
what Milton describes is at least close to accurate, and that upsets me
quite a lot.

My own approach to this is to ignore anything that any ICANN board or staff
members assert about what the NTIA says or wants. I will listen to NTIA
officials on that subject, but nobody else.

ICANN as an institution has too much at stake and too much of a history of
trying to asset its interests in these debates for anyone to take its
alleged analysis of what NTIA would or would not put up with seriously.

I can only urge you all to at least consider a similar approach. We must
continue to work to the public NTIA criteria. If NTIA wants to change or
supplement them, they must do so on the record and in public.

cheers
Jordan

On 1 May 2015 at 05:02, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:

> Very troubling.  On a practical level, will this put ICANN and the NTIA in
> a "stand-off" or will NTIA allow ICANN to get away with this?
>
> Thanks for forwarding it, Ed.
>
> Best,
> Robin
>
> On Apr 30, 2015, at 9:22 AM, Jonathan Zuck wrote:
>
>   Exactly
>
>   From: Keith Drazek
> Date: Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 11:41 AM
> To: Accountability Cross Community
> Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Ominous update on the IANA transition
>
>   Wow....
>
> A timely reminder of the importance of our work to improve ICANN's
> Accountability.
>
> Best,
> Keith
>
> *From:* accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org [

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *