[CCWG-ACCT] Issues with Providing Public Comments on CCWG-Accountability Proposal

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at actonline.org
Thu Dec 3 04:20:23 UTC 2015

It is simply the case that at SOME point this is supposed to go to the chartering orgs as they are the ultimate decision makers. The HUGE majority of public comments come from WITHIN this community. Either we are able to operate as a community or we are not. Continuously throwing the same arguments over the transom because we feel like we get a better platform than we do working within the community has stopped entirely from being productive. I’m having the same argument inside the IPC, by the way. The primary use of public comments should be to generate new ideas not create ONE MORE round of repetitive comments that require the attention of the CCWG (for responding to which you go on to criticize the CCWG, of course, if they aren’t comments YOU feel are important). At this point, additional public comments from within the community only serve to make people feel more important than they are within that community. Now is the time to lobby within the GNSO to see changes you still want made and to compromise if you fail. Anything else is simply intellectual…er, gymnastics… and to defend it in the name of process is disingenuous at best.

Frankly, I’d like to see these measures actually go into effect. I’d like to stop the incredible mission creep we’re getting at the end of this process because folks feel like they have leverage. If everyone is so concerned that WS2 isn’t going to happen then we have simply failed at WS1 as that was the whole point: to put the community in charge of their own destiny in terms of reform…not to get every pet issue handled in WS1. And yes, the timeline probably DOES matter politically in the US. We can’t let this go on forever. There isn’t going to be a version of this with which everyone is completely happy so at some point, we need to go to the chartering orgs and see if they can live with it. There really shouldn’t be ANY public comment at this point but process demands we leave a window open for those who are unrepresented. I don’t need to read another public comment from within the community and do a whole new spreadsheet treating it on equal footing with the GNSO. It ain’t.

So, to be specific I think there’s a danger of letting this drag on much longer in terms of the politics in DC. I also see very little upside to holding an entire public comment period prior to getting feedback from the chartering orgs. As such it’s hard to compare the pros and cons here but we have heard from he public and a fairly significant way and gone a long way to address the concerns that have been raised. It ain’t perfect and it’s not going to be. That said, if we’ve done our job right, we have the ability to continue to reform the organization regardless of the makeup of the board and the responsibility will fall on the community to do so.