[CCWG-ACCT] Issues with Providing Public Comments on CCWG-Accountability Proposal

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu Dec 3 16:24:40 UTC 2015

Edward: in my view, your comment was unworthy. I expect it was expressed
that way carelessly and accidentally, rather than otherwise.

Kavouss: As a British-English speaking person, I would certainly read
the comment in much the same way you did.  In my native language variant
of English "I don't know how you do things in your country but . . " is
a pretty nasty thing for someone to say (under the patina of
politeness). But I take it as having been unintentional.

I understand how Edward's comment came across as an attack on your
country. It's unfortunate that this was the result of an aside about as
small a thing as a default answer or a survey.

"Democracy" is a subjective thing. It depends where you are looking at
it from.  (The United States to me, viewed through the lens of
comparative sociology no longer, strictly, looks entirely like a
democracy, more like a corporatist system of government).

(But if democracy is subjectve, fundamental rights are objective. And
this is why ICANN needs a binding obligation in that regard as a
prerequiste for full privatisation).