[CCWG-ACCT] An Inadvertent Omission in Annex 5 - Mission Statement

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Thu Dec 10 17:58:05 UTC 2015

On 10/12/2015 17:50, Burr, Becky wrote:
> Actually, I think this is just a mistake.  The current Mission statement
> explicitly talks about maintaining the security and stability of the
>  Internet’s unique identifier systems, so I think inserting “of the DNS”
> is correct.

Why would that make it a mistake?

It seems perfectly reasonable that "security and stability" be
applicable to the DNS, but "openness" be applicable to the Internet.

To assume that the NTIA made a mistake in its announcement that it would
be seeking transition seems...questionable. I am sure that announcement
was checked very carefully before it was released.