[CCWG-ACCT] An Inadvertent Omission in Annex 5 - Mission Statement

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Thu Dec 10 19:54:54 UTC 2015

I've gone back to the document, and now think "of the DNS" indeed correct.

The reason is not the text (on its own, as I said, I thought an argument
could have been made to the contrary), but its *location*, which gives
the necessary context. The section we were just discussing was just a
sub-clause in a much longer sentence, which reads in full

Specifically, ICANN:
1. Coordinates the allocation
and assignment of names in
the root zone of the Domain
Name System ("DNS"). In this
role, ICANN’s Mission is to
coordinate the development
and implementation of
policies:
* For which uniform or
coordinated resolution is
reasonably necessary to
facilitate the openness,
interoperability, resilience,
security and/or stability:
* That are developed
through a bottom-up,
consensus-based multistakeholder process and
designed to ensure the
stable and secure
operation of the Internet’s
unique names systems.

In that context, I would agree that it would be merely an editorial
correction to alter this to

Specifically, ICANN:
1. Coordinates the allocation
and assignment of names in
the root zone of the Domain
Name System ("DNS"). In this
role, ICANN’s Mission is to
coordinate the development
and implementation of
policies:
* For which uniform or
coordinated resolution is
reasonably necessary to
facilitate the openness,
interoperability, resilience,
security and/or stability of the DNS; and
* That are developed
through a bottom-up,
consensus-based multistakeholder process and
designed to ensure the
stable and secure
operation of the Internet’s
unique names systems.

That said, I do think that we should be extraordinarily careful and
reticient about "correcting" this Third Draft Report (which we are now
told is the Final Draft Report) post-publication, and transparent in any
change we make (e.g. by adding an Erratum rather than merely reissuing
the document silently incorporating corrections).

Kind Regards,

Malcolm.