[CCWG-ACCT] Resolution of Mission Language related to regulation and contract

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:43:22 UTC 2015

Perhaps the question to counsel needs to be whether any of the existing
PICs are inconsistent with the new Mission language being proposed.
(Answering this question likely requires a combination of legal analysis
and understanding ICANN policy, along with neutrality as to outcome.  Also,
answering this question may take quite some time, given the number of
PICs.  Perhaps specific PICs can be nominated as those most likely to cause
concern or needing resolution.)

If I understand the consequences of the CCWG proposal correctly, this means
that (i) any existing PICs that are inconsistent with the new Mission
language are being saved only by "grandfathering," and (ii) the same PIC
would be prohibited in a Registry Agreement executed after the effective
date of the new Mission language.

By the same reasoning, any new PIC would need to be judged against the
Mission limitations on a case-by-case basis.

Greg