[CCWG-ACCT] Resolution of Mission Language related to regulation and contract

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Dec 12 16:27:45 UTC 2015

On 11-Dec-15 12:13, Greg Shatan wrote:
> (a) there are existing PICs that are outside ICANN's Mission,

I am sure there are, or at least could be.  The conditions that some
applicants had to put into their applications to meet requirements such
as those for community and geographical and such to restrict access to
certain populations could well be interpreted as beyond the scope of the
ICANN mission.

> or (b) the new Mission language is changing ICANN's Mission and not
> merely clarifying it.

Of course it is changing it.  The mission is not only expressed in the
negotiated wording, but the interpretations made of those words over the
years.  By changing the wording we change the basis for interpretation
- I expect that was the intent for some among those who wanted to
constrain the mission.  The negotiations that have been ongoing on the
wording seem to me to be intended to change the practical interpretation
of the mission.  This is not just clarification.

avri

---