[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG - ACCT - Recommendation 4 - Community Powers

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrlaw.com
Mon Dec 14 20:29:29 UTC 2015

If the Chairs  want to certify the legal questions, I think these would be:

1.       Is it possible for a Director to bring suit for libel, slander,  or other causes of action during the community enforcement removal process or thereafter based on the “written justification” laid out by the SO/AC and/or oral statements made during the required conference calls in the Community  enforcement process?

2.       Could a Director seek injunctive and/or declaratory relief to interrupt the community enforcement process toward removal?  If so, would SOs/ACs and officers who are sued be required to mount their own defense?  How expensive would this be?

3.       Is there insurance coverage available for SOs/ACs and their officers in relation to possible suit by a director in jeopardy of being removed or who has been removed from the Board?  If so, how expensive is it?

These are not questions about how likely the action  is to occur.   That does not really figure into the “chilling effect” that is of concern when the officer of an SO or AC is drafting the “written justification”  and/or  encouraging open discussion in the required (and recorded for posterity) conference call.
Anne

[cid:image001.gif at 01D13672.C22150F0]

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese, Of Counsel

Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP

One South Church Avenue Suite 700 | Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611

(T) 520.629.4428 | (F) 520.879.4725

AAikman at lrrlaw.com<mailto:AAikman at lrrlaw.com> | www.LRRLaw.com<http://www.lrrlaw.com/>