[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: ICANN Board Comments on Third CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Dec 14 23:10:24 UTC 2015

Hello Bruce,

I'm writing w.r.t. Recommendation 6, pages 19, 20 and 27 of the
14-Dec-15-Board_Comments_to_CCWG[1][1].pdf.

First, I agree with the Board's observations (p19, para1) that the work
has not progressed sufficient to allow non-placeholder text to be
inserted into the Bylaws.

Second, I appreciate the expression of concern (p19 and 20) that
placeholder text may be construed by third-parties as having meaning not
intended by its authors.

Third, I wish to observe that to the best of my limited knowledge, no
body of law is directly applicable to the "skitter core" (a term we owe
to the intelligence and industrious activity of k.c. claffy and her
co-workers at the Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA)),
which is where the global uniqueness of identifiers (names-to-addresses)
is manifested -- something not contained by any one territorial
jurisdiction, yet present in all (including .kr, which has AS131279,
announcing 175.45.176.0/22).

This particular observation leads me to also observe that "the full
scope of defined work on human rights should include consideration of
impacts across all of ICANN's activities" is problematic. Whatever
"human rights" may mean in the context of ICANN's core mission --
technical coordination of globally unique identifiers -- is the usual
language -- it is unlikely that the same or even a comparable meaning
exists for "human rights" within the contexts of the day to day
operations of the offices in Los Angeles or Istanbul or Singapore, or
the contexts of the Corporation and the Contracted Parties, etc., for
which bodies of law exist.

With regard to the Board's proposal (page 20, C) I wish to remind you as
the Board's liaison of the exchange of notes on the subject of
availability of, and correctness of, resolution of globally unique
identifiers to underlying resources, in the CCWG mailing list, in which
the current chair of a standards body has opined that prior efforts by
the Corporation, through its Board Chair and CEO could be described as
merely effecting operational concerns, not asserting some general right
of access to resources through the resolution of globally unique
identifiers.

Finally, I wish to repeat the observation I shared at the Los Angeles
face-to-face meeting of the CCWG, and many members of the Board -- that
access to namespaces is within the direct control of the Corporation,
and have been shown through the success of the .cat sponsored linguistic
and cultural registry, the ccTLD IDN Fast Track program, and the
expansion of the IDN Fast Track from ccTLDs to the 2014 new gTLD
program, to have substantively advanced literacy and ease of use in
(large populations) living languages. While not expressed as a "human
right", the history of progressive support for namespaces and for
identifiers in scripts other than the Latin script by the Corporation is
a history of advancing a recognized human right.

Personally I'm not concerned if this work is undertaken in WS1 or WS2,
as I'm confident of the Board's intention to incorporate some
meaningful, and correct, statement concerning the core function of the
Corporation and some human rights, such as the advancement of languages
other than English among users of the resources associated with globally
unique identifiers via the DNS.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon