[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: ICANN Board Comments on Third CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 12:55:41 UTC 2015

There are several troubling things in the Board's
comments on the Mission Statement.

The CCWG Mission Statement had two fundamental
constraints on ICANN's powers:  a "picket fence,"
and a requirement that policies imposed by ICANN
on DNS participants have to be developed through
a consensus-based multi-stakeholder process.

The Board's comments appear to do away with both
of these constraints. Instead, the Board would
substitute a simplified Mission Statement - "to
ensure the stable and secure operation of the
global, interoperable Internet's unique
identifier systems" - a statement that ICANN will
only as "reasonably appropriate" to achieve that
Mission, and two additional Principles:

(1) that "ICANN's entering into and enforcement
of Registry and Registrar contracts is an
important component of ICANN's work in
coordination and allocation of names in the Root Zone of the DNS"; and
(2) that "ICANN is not a regulator, and does not
regulate content through these contracts."

The consensus requirement has disappeared
entirely.  As I read it, anything that the ICANN
Board decides is "reasonably appropriate" for the
"stable and secure operation of the [DNS]" is
within its power to impose on third parties -
whether or not it has been subject of consensus decision-making.

And the Mission Statement is watered down still
further in regard to the question of ICANN's
contracting powers.  The CCWG proposal already
acknowledged that "ICANN shall have the ability
to negotiate, enter into, and enforce agreements
with contracted parties in service of its
Mission."  This was intended to make clear that
ICANN's powers to impose conditions on 3d parties
through its contracts are limited by the Mission;
ICANN can't make an "end run" around the Mission
Statement limitations through its
contracts.   The Board's comment omits that
italicized language, which would seem to imply a
view that ICANN's power to contract with others
(including Registries and Registrars) is NOT
subject to ICANN's Mission, and that ICANN can
condition access to the DNS on whatever
conditions it sees fit to impose.  If that's what
was intended, I believe it represents a serious difference of opinion.

Finally, why does the Board prefer its language in its Principle 2 -
"ICANN is not a regulator, and does not regulate
content through these contracts" -

to the CCWG proposal language
"ICANN shall not impose regulations on services
that use the Internet's unique identifiers or the
content such services carry or provide"

?   To use an example we used before: Suppose
ICANN requires all registrants to agree to abide
by the decisions of its new Consumer Protection
Dispute Resolution Procedure (CPDRP),which will
evaluate claims of consumer fraud.  A challenger
says: "That's outside of ICANN's Mission, and it
violates the "no content regulation"
principle."  I think it's fair to say that we
want that challenge to succeed - this is
precisely the sort of thing we don't want ICANN to be doing in the future.
But under the Board's view, ICANN will be able to
say:  "No, we're not a regulator - and this isn't
a 'regulation' of content or anything else - it's
just a contract, and we can do what we like through our contracts."

Unless I'm misreading your comments, it's
difficult for me to see how these views can be reconciled.

David

At 03:13 PM 12/14/2015, Burr, Becky wrote:
> [...]
>
>B.  Does the Board propose to replace (in some
>place other than the Mission Statement) the following two concepts:
>
>ICANN shall not impose regulations on services
>that use the Internet’s unique identifiers or
>the content that such services carry or provide; and
>ICANN shall have the ability to negotiate, enter
>into, and enforce agreements with contracted parties in service of its Mission
>
>With these concepts:
>
>ICANN’s entering into and enforcement of
>Registry and Registrar contracts is an important
>component of ICANN’s work in coordination and
>allocation of names in the Root Zone of the DNS; and
>ICANN is not a regulator and does not regulate
>content through these contracts.
>[Aside - I assume ICANN is merely asserting its
>status here, and is not actually willing to
>agree to language prohibiting it from acting as a “regulator”]
>

>3.  Whether or not the following concepts belong
>in the Bylaws, does the Board agree that:
>
>I.  The prohibition on regulation of “content”
>is not intended to prevent ICANN policies from
>taking into account the use of domain names as
>identifiers in various natural languages;
>II.   Spec 1 of the RA and Spec 4 of the RAA
>describe activities within ICANN’s Mission; and
>III.  The parties to existing Registry
>Agreements and Registrar Accreditation
>Agreements are bound by those agreements.
>

>Thanks.

>J. Beckwith Burr
>Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
>1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
>Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367
>/ <http://www.neustar.biz>neustar.biz
>
>From: Bruce Tonkin
><<mailto:Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
>Date: Monday, December 14, 2015 at 5:49 AM
>To: Accountability Community
><<mailto:accountability-cross-community at icann.org>accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
>Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: ICANN Board
>Comments on Third CCWG-Accountability Draft
>Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations
>
>Hello Jordan,
>
>Thanks for posting to the list.
>
>The comments are also available in the public comment forum at:
>
><https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__forum.icann.org_lists_comments-2Ddraft-2Dccwg-2Daccountability-2Dproposal-2D30nov15_msg00011.html&d=CwMGaQ&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8TjDmrxdYahOP8WDDkMr4k&m=iW32Hzmtks3csdT35yoDnewxY1qpThZOMgm4lAhs1is&s=5YoT41DhstPoCt-F83_aupS65UqO3DBFX9YrdeFCgdA&e=>http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-30nov15/msg00011.html
>
>We had a half day meeting of the full Board on
>Thursday 10 Dec, and then spent a few hours
>again with the full Board finalizing the
>comments yesterday – Sunday 13 Dec.      That
>was in addition to another half day meeting held
>on Saturday 5 Dec.   All dates are relative to my time zone J

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic
publications etc.  http://www.davidpost.com