[CCWG-ACCT] FW: Fwd: FW: ICANN Board Comments on Third CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:43:58 UTC 2015

At 05:27 AM 12/16/2015, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

>We had recommended splitting the text into a
>simple mission statement followed by a scope of responsibility.
>
>The Mission Statement should be a short and
>simple statement that conveys what ICANN's
>purpose is and relates to the specific sector of
>activities in which ICANN operates.

Short and simple is always a good goal.  But the
problem is that the Mission Statement has to
serve as an ENFORCEABLE limitation on ICANN's
powers.  It is the primary backstop that will
ensure that ICANN does not stray into areas that
it should not be in.  If it is too "short and
simple" it cannot serve that function at all, and
we will be left with an entity that can do whatever it wants to do.

To illustrate the point, why not make this the
Mission Statement:  "ICANN shall help coordinate
Domain Name System operations"??   Short, simple, and accurate.
But that Mission that will not be effective as an
enforceable limitation on ICANN's powers, because
just about anything it chooses to do it can be
seen as "reasonably appropriate" for THIS mission.

Not to repeat myself, but the CCWG Mission
Statement embodied two principles which the Board
would apparently like to see eliminated:  the
"picket fence" and the requirement for consensus
policy-making.   I may have missed it, but I
don't recall seeing (a) any good reason they
should both be eliminated, or (b) any substitute
language the Board is proposing that would
similarly incorporate these two principles into the corporation's structure.

>BT:  "Scope of Responsibilities:  The Board
>suggests that the purpose of this section is to
>define ICANN's current scope of responsibilities
>within its Mission and in service to its
>Mission. It should describe what ICANN does, not
>how it does it, and must not change ICANN's
>existing role because that would have
>consequences for ICANN's operations,
>commitments, and responsibility to the Community."

What is the point of doing this ?  What good does
it do - as a means of constraining ICANN's
exercise of its powers in the future -- to say,
as the Board proposal says, that

"ICANN coordinates the allocation and assignment
of names in the root zone of the DNS ..., and
coordinates the operation and evolution of the
DNS root name server system, ... and coordinates
the allocation and assignment at the top--most
level of IP and AS numbers ..., and collaborates
with other bodies as appropriate to publish core registries ..."?

What's the point of that?  I would note that
under the Board's proposal, ICANN would not even
be bound to comply with that Statement of
Responsibilities; the promise is just to act "in
accordance with and only as reasonably
appropriate for the Mission," which does not
include the Statement of Responsibilities.  Not
that that would do much good, in any event - the
responsibilities are so generally phrased
("coordinate" and "collaborate") that they can't
really serve as useful limitations on anything the corporation decides to do.

Nor does the Board intend for this to be an
exclusive list of ICANN's responsibities - that
is, there's nothing (unless I'm just missing it)
that says that ICANN can't take on other "responsibilities" in the future.

I still fail to see how the Board's comments and
the CCWG proposal can be reconciled - or more
importantly why they should be reconciled.

David

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic
publications etc.  http://www.davidpost.com