[CCWG-ACCT] Our timetable -- some personal observations

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:35:40 UTC 2015

On Dec 16, 2015 18:31, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 04:43:35PM +0000, Burr, Becky wrote:.
>
> The difference in the board's text is the replacement of "mission"
> with "scope", I think.

SO: I note that the scope in board's wording was preceded with "....in
servicing it's *mission*, the scope of ICANN...."

With that preceding text in mind, I don't really think the scope has been
disconnected from the mission. Hence the mission is still very much
dependent on the scope.

I really don't get why it's important to the
> board, and I think I'd need to think some about whether there are any
> implications.

SO: +1 As someone said, perhaps it's for further clarity and simplicity.
Nevertheless, so long as "covering body with coverlet" and "covering
coverlet with body" implies the same thing then one should accommodate it.

What I like (and I think what the IAB likes) about the
> CCWG text is how limited it makes the mission.  (I've argued all along
> that the explicit additional limitations people have wanted are
> unnecessary, as you know.)  I cannot tell whether the board's language
> is an attempt to widen the mission.

SO: Based on my explanation above, I am yet to understand how mission
widening can happen since it's already limited by the scope referenced.
Unless there is reason to believe that the referenced scope is in itself
already expanded.

Perhaps there is legal perspective to this than just looking at it
linguistically/grammatically. Maybe it's something that can be pushed to
legal team for advice on implications (if any).

If it is, then it's anyone's
> guess whether the IAB would support it.  (I guess "no", to be honest,
> but it's just a guess.)

SO: Sounds fair enough as it will defeat the purpose in the first place.

Regards
PS: I have not had time to read the detailed board comment. Only relying on
the text shared by Becky.