[CCWG-ACCT] Our timetable -- some personal observations

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 04:58:33 UTC 2015

I think that something between (i) and (iii) (but bearing no relationship
to (ii)) is another option.

I think we need to take into account significant ("red flag"/"red line")
issues that come from the SOACs and from the public comment process
(including those from the Board.  But we need to deal with them in a
somewhat different manner.

   - If there are issues that seem significantly likely to cause one or
   more SOACs to reject a recommendation, those need to be dealt with
   (although "one man's meat is another man's poison" -- i.e., a solution to
   avoid rejection by one SOAC could bring about potential rejection by
   another SOAC).
   - If a SOAC or comment points out a way in which our proposal is
   "broken" (won't work the way we think it would, unintended consequences,
   reasonable but not previously contemplated scenarios), these need to be
   dealt with.  These need to be distinguished from "implementation level"
   issues, which we should not deal with now.  The flaw needs to be in the
   root, not the branch, so to speak.
   - Public comments that merely advocate different choices should be
   resisted.  We have made many choices throughout this process.  If we still
   have a consensus behind these choices and they don't fall into one of the
   two categories above, we should stick with these choices.  We can't start
   moving the furniture around at this point.  [However, we could go overboard
   in declaring the proposal sacrosanct, causing us to turn a blind eye to
   flaws we don't want to acknowledge.  We want to be firm, but not rigid.]

I think this would result in a very discriminating and surgical application
of "fixes" over a short period of time (hopefully, the time allotted before
the January SOAC final approval, or some very modest slippage from there).
As such, it is a middle ground between (i) we're done and (iii) another
full ride on the CCWG roller coaster.

Greg