[CCWG-ACCT] The Board's take on the Mission Statement

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Thu Dec 17 09:28:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-17 09:13, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
> Speaking personally I have no issue with also including the last two
> paragraphs in your note below which is really a limitation on what
> policies can be created and how they should be created. This text is
> really lifted from the registry and registrar agreements so ICANN has
> already committed to that. It is not something that we as a board
> directly discussed.

I must say I find it somewhat shocking that the Board returned to us
a counter-proposal that deletes such an important element without even
directly discussing the deletion.

Here in the CCWG we engage in a kind of Kremlinology, poring over the
details of Board statements to try and figure out their inner-meaning
and exactly what the Board wants or will accept. If such a deletion
is driven not by a desire to avoid that text for a motivation at which
we must guess, but instead by mere inadvertence or thoughtlessness, I am
much less inclined to give supervening weight to the Board's input.

Malcolm.