[CCWG-ACCT] Our timetable -- some personal observations

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Thu Dec 17 13:53:49 UTC 2015

Hello Bruce,

> 2. The ASO shall be the entity established by the Memorandum of Understanding entered on 21 October 2004 between ICANN and the Number Resource Organization (NRO), an organization of the existing regional Internet registries (RIRs)."

If you see the above sentence which refers to the MoU, it only described about the ASO, not ICANN's role on the number resources.

The ASO believes the Mission should accurately describe ICANN's role is on the number resources.

The ASO MoU is a document, which has been agreed between ICANN and RIRs, including description of ICANN's role.
This is why we believe clarity on ICANN's role related to the number resources with reference to the ASO MoU in the Mission is important.

I note that it seems odd for the Board to refer to the MoU in a mission statement and have a follow up question.

Does the ICANN Board have a specific concern about referencing the ASO MoU in the Mission?
The ASO MoU can only be revised based on agreement by RIRs and ICANN, so it would not change the role of ICANN's role without ICANN's consent.

Izumi