[CCWG-ACCT] The Board's take on the Mission Statement

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 05:05:19 UTC 2015

On Dec 18, 2015 3:15 AM, "Mueller, Milton L" <milton at gatech.edu> wrote:

> No.  We have no problem with having the Scope of Responsibilities be
fundamental bylaws,

> MM: As noted in my previous message, I do have a problem if the scope
includes non-core, nonexclusive things that ICANN does.

SO: +1 to this, so it's a matter of checking if the text in the scope is
indeed out of remit of ICANN's actual role and responsibilities. Nevermind
that this is a repetition of what I had earlier mentioned.

> and that obviously means we expect the Scope of Responsibilities to be
fairly stable.  Changes to the Scope of Responsibilities should require
careful deliberation and considered action by the community as well as the
Board.  The Mission Statement should be even more stable and hardly ever
require amendment.

> MM: For ICANN to include its role as IFO as a fundamental bylaw is a
backdoor way of resisting and denying one of the most critical reforms of
the IANA  transition, namely the legal and structural separation of IFO
from ICANN and the principle of separability. Sorry, Steve, that isn’t
going to happen. Besides, to wrest IANA away from ICANN requires a
massively complex process that certainly already qualifies as “careful
deliberation and considered action.”

SO: Okay this seem to be becoming wired to me as I no longer understand the
intent here, are you saying that ICANN would seize to be the IFO(logically)
post-transition? If the intent is to somehow recognise the subsidiary of
ICANN (PTI) as the IFO in the fundamental bylaw then I agree otherwise I
think having things embedded in fundamental bylaw is most appropriate
security because these in itself is a literally fundamental issues of the
organisation structure and should be treated as such.