[CCWG-ACCT] The Board's take on the Mission Statement

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 06:27:48 UTC 2015

Let's not forgot what ICANN's Articles of Incorporation (a more
foundational and fundamental document than any Bylaw) say in Section 3:

"the Corporation shall, except as limited by Article 5 hereof, pursue the
charitable and public purposes of lessening the burdens of government and
promoting the global public interest in the operational stability of the
Internet by (i) coordinating the assignment of Internet technical
parameters as needed to maintain universal connectivity on the Internet;
(ii) performing and overseeing functions related to the coordination of the
Internet Protocol ("IP") address space; (iii) performing and overseeing
functions related to the coordination of the Internet domain name system ("
DNS"), including the development of policies for determining the
circumstances under which new top-level domains are added to the DNS root
system; (iv) overseeing operation of the authoritative Internet DNS root
server system...."

If my recollection is correct, neither the CWG or the CCWG has proposed
changing the Articles of Incorporation.

This is a statement of ICANN's purposes, until these are no longer ICANN's
purposes.

Also, let's not forget that PTI is a "controlled affiliate" of ICANN -- a
single member corporation in which ICANN is the sole member (i.e., a *de
facto* wholly-owned subsidary of ICANN) -- and will be treated as such
until a "separation" decision is made.  PTI isolates the IANA functions
from ICANN, structurally and legally, in order to enhance separability and
accountability.  It overstates the case to say that the "Post-Transition
IANA" is separated from ICANN.  That term should be reserved for the time
when ICANN is no longer the "parent" of PTI.

Greg