[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: ICANN Board Comments on Third CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Dec 23 10:53:38 UTC 2015

Hello Mathieu,

>>  After the topic was raised again during our CCWG call today, may I kindly request an update on this request for clarification ?

Coming to an agreed definition of the global public interest is part of ICANN’s strategic plan.

It is the 5th of five strategic initiatives:

“Develop and implement a global public interest framework bounded by ICANN’s mission.”

Until this is done, the Board is guided by the global public interest as set out in our Articles of Incorporation:

in recognition of the fact that the Internet is an international network of networks, owned by no single nation, individual or organization,

ICANN shall, except as limited by Article 5 hereof, pursue the charitable and public purposes of lessening the burdens of government and promoting the global public interest in the operational stability of the Internet by

(i) coordinating the assignment of Internet technical parameters as needed to maintain universal connectivity on the Internet;

(ii) performing and overseeing functions related to the coordination of the Internet Protocol ("IP") address space;

(iii) performing and overseeing functions related to the coordination of the Internet domain name system ("DNS"), including the development of policies for determining the circumstances under which new top-level domains are added to the DNS root system;

(iv) overseeing operation of the authoritative Internet DNS root server system;

and (v) engaging in any other related lawful activity in furtherance of items (i) through (iv)."

By inference therefore any specifics of a proposal that could result in limiting ICANN’s ability to deliver on this role is a concern to the ICANN Board.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin