[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: ICANN Board Comments on Third CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Dec 24 10:11:18 UTC 2015

Hi Bruce,

> Transparency - is also supported by the Board.     We have not made any comments against transparency.

That's not entirely true, but I certainly welcome the willingness of the Board to accept the basic premise of greater transparency and to give the community Inspection rights - although the details are very important and still under consideration,  the openness of the Board to these ideas are a break from past attitudes and a very good sign. Thank you.

> We are wary of getting tied up in processes where we need 100 staff to answer requests for information that are not always material but serve the curiosity of the requester.

I share these concerns and am confident that working together in a spirit of cooperation and compromise the Board and the community can reach a mutually acceptable outcome that addresses this concern while giving the community the transparency desired. I note that the Board is today having great difficulty meeting the timelines of our current accountability mechanisms. Reconsideration requests, for example, are not being handled within the period suggested in the Bylaws. It is in no ones interest to overburden staff or the Board with unrealistic demands, but at the same time one needs to refrain from using this possibility as a Trojan Horse preventing us from reaching our shared goal. If all parties act in good faith, refrain from threats (which, in my view, has not always happened) and work together I'm confident we'll be able to come up with an approach that works for everyone.

Best,

Ed Morris