[CCWG-ACCT] Follow-up from the Word Internet Conference in China

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Dec 25 20:26:44 UTC 2015

Phil,

I don't wish to minimize your research as to the goals of the WIC.

When I went to Beijing a decade and a half ago several million instances
of IE were sourcing packet trains to North America for some, perhaps
all, Han script strings input to that browser's navigation field. The
root cause, a bug in the UTF8 handling code, caused recurring
trans-pacific traffic for resources which should have been completely
resolved without generating any trans-pacific traffic after the first
(or periodic) cached reference, resulting in substantial hard currency
(USD) settlement costs.

Keep in mind it was only at the Brussels meeting in 2010 that ICANN
allowed the .cn operator (and others similarly situated) the means to
begin to offer Han Script namespaces, finally obviating the niche for
browser hacks, of which the IE+3rd-parties "IDN solution" cited above
was just one instance -- so this was then a problem with an unknown, but
likely to be long, estimated time to repair -- and given the inability
to resolve similar issues in the IETF (e.g., the intermediate tables
proposal to fix errors introduced by merging the traditional and
simplified Han scripts), the decision to reduce the then present IE UTF8
bug cost arising from reliance upon North American resolution resources
and anticipate similar externalities via the publication of a (very
modest) extension of the IANA generated data and illuminating a set of
authoritative servers, was, and remains, a rational engineering decision.

For completeness, in that period the USG sought assistance from the
government of China to suppress "software piracy", in particular the
common practice of local duplication of licensed binary products, e.g.,
MS Windows and the then-bundled-in (inherently defective in China, and
elsewhere) version of IE, and, from the technology informed CN point of
view available to me, autonomous development of alternate commercial
commodity operating system products.

I bring this up to make three points:

First, as I've mentioned previously, we have an interest in being
well-informed about operations by others, and the reasons those
operator(s) feel compelled to engage in specific operations, such as
expensive and unfixable-by-license bugs in mass market DNS-aware products.

Second, we have an interest in distinguishing those means of control
over specific names, specific content, and specific prefixes within the
general technically coordinated system, and those means of control over
general resource access, generally affecting or replacing some system.

Third, the policy goals of other operators implemented by general
mechanisms and specific mechanisms may agree with, as well as differ
from, those of the NTIA and its for-profit and not-for-profit
contractors, and where there is agreement, e.g., general availability of
Han Script namespace products, such mechanisms may be asynchronously
implemented.

All this is preamble to a personal observation that ICANN's CEO and some
Board and Staff should contribute to other sources of technical
coordination policy development, preferably, more gracefully than the
previous CEO's attempt at this truly critical mission, and that the
motives, and mechanisms, of operators and their regulators are best
viewed on their specific merits. The word "sovereignty" can mean
advancing local, rather than remote, literacy through identifiers, just
as well as advancing local, rather than remote, elites and their
agendas. I suggest we share the interest in literacy through
identifiers, independent of the mechanism preemption exercised by the
NTIA's for-profit contractor, any other policy goal restricting access
to data.

Next, turning to the Multi-Stakeholder vs Multi-Lateral Models (MSM vs
MLM), we already have quite a lot of the latter in the exceptions now
made in consequence of regional data protection law, the subject of
frequent RAA Amendment notices from Krista, and we've had nascent, and
eventually realized MLM policy development through the Chinese Domain
Name Consortium CDNC (.cn, .hk, .tw, .sg), the Joint Engineering Team
JET (.jp, .kr, cn, .tw), etc. These are unlikely to have exhausted the
interests of concerned governments in cooperation, generally for ends
consistent with literacy, a shared policy goal, as well as other not
necessarily shared policy goals.

Thank you for your time today.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon