[CCWG-ACCT] Follow-up from the Word Internet Conference in China

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Fri Dec 25 15:33:22 UTC 2015

We must live in a bit of a different world, I think. Where I come from, any
public official (and let's not kid ourselves -- that is what Fadi is) who
did what Fadi did would be subject to discipline if not removal.  While
acting in a public role, the official has no private capacity -- none at
all.  At least in the world I inhabit that prohibition is so stringent that
it applies even to actions that would be (under any reasonable test) so
clearly distinct that the likelihood of confusing the public role with the
private role was virtually non-existent.

For a particularly telling recent example of this, consider this story:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/meet-the-author-of-the-revena
nt--except-you-cant-because-of-his-federal-job/2015/12/22/32d632fe-a5c5-11e5
-ad3f-991ce3374e23_story.html.  A minor Federal official wrote "The
Revenant" before he joined the government.  Now, the book is a major movie
just released today, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.  In the normal course of
events, the writer of the book on which the film was based would be doing
publicity for the film.  Here, the author cannot -- because he is a Deputy
Trade Representative of the US.  Now, I don't know about you, but for me the
likelihood that people will associate the movie publicity with the USTR
office and draw an inference of official US government approval is
vanishingly small -- so on the merits I would say that this is a place where
the officials private life could diverge from his public responsibility.
But as I said, here we are so cautious about even the appearance of
impropriety that the author is not doing any public relations for his movie.

As others have pointed out for Fadi the possibility of confusion is clearly
much higher -- the press and the public will (and have) linked his new
"personal capacity" job to his current status as CEO of ICANN -- which is of
course exactly why he was hired and exactly what the Chinese wanted.
Frankly, as Nigel said, I find his behavior troubling and remarkably tone
deaf.

I should add that the purpose of the restriction on trading on your public
position works both ways.  We worry not only about the new "private"
connection currying favor with public official, we also worry that the
official may make decisions in his public capacity that are now to benefit
his future private actions rather than the public interest.  It isn't the
connection and the cooperation that is troubling (as Eric notes) -- it is
the promise of future employment with unknown benefits that was made while
the public official was still working for the public that raises the
questions.

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig
paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com