[CCWG-ACCT] Global Public Interest discussion

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:00:30 UTC 2015

Dear Milton,

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Mueller, Milton L <milton at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> [...]

Thank You Milton. I agree. I am really not familiar with the history, uses
and abuses of the concept.

Though aware that the term could be abused, I believe that there would be a
vacuum in ICANN's mission if we are to shy away from the notion of "Global
Public Interest" (with a good definition of what it implies in the context
of ICANN's mission). The existing Accountability framework together with
further changes would sufficiently keep abuses under check.

> I think Greg Shatan hit the nail on the head:
>
> "[if] the board Resolution had said "If the Board believes it is not
> copacetic to implement a recommendation...." then the Board would have
> written in its comments that what we proposed was likely not copacetic."

​I copy below a few more remarks from Greg Shetan's message with my
comments:​

this is their self-declared yardstick

That could change to a more broadly defined and declared yardstick​, with
positive attention to the concept and its definition by the community.

GPI is an important (if nebulous) concept.

A very important concept without which the Global ICANN is reduced to a
narrow corporation, what is needed is to pay attention to the aspects that
are nebulous and attain clarity.

Perhaps framing our rationales in terms of GPI is going to help, because it
> will demonstrate a difference between the CCWG's and the Board's concept of
> GPI.

Yes, the key is to minimise the difference between CCWG's and the Board's
concept of Global Public Interest.

> So let's not get distracted by the term or the aura or the verbal
> connotations of the term "global public interest" or "public interest."
> Let's focus on ICANN's mission, the appropriate limitations on it, and the
> way to make sure ICANN is accountable for its proper execution of the
> mission.

​Milton, I totally disagree.​

--
Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>