[CCWG-ACCT] Follow-up from the Word Internet Conference in China

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 17:27:43 UTC 2015

Dear Avri,

Please translate :)

Hmm. I use it more in chat to mean "I completely disagree with what you've
just said". – user24964 Nov 18 '13 at 16:49
<http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/138172/can-someone-explain-hmmm#comment283770_138172>

3

It means exactly the same thing as when someone actually says it when
you're speaking face to face. In other words it can mean a lot if different
things depending on context and intonation (which admittedly is lost in
email and chat) – Jim <http://english.stackexchange.com/users/17956/jim> Nov
18 '13 at 16:52
<http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/138172/can-someone-explain-hmmm#comment283772_138172>

@J.R.- I say it on several occasions. 1. When I want to say "I'm not sure I
agree with you, but I don't think it's worth arguing about." 2. when I'm
not paying strict attention to the person who's speaking and I realize
they've just addressed a question to me and I want to indicate that I need
them to repeat it. 3. when I'm in the middle of doing something and I just
realize that I've run into a problem to which I don't immediately know the
solution. – Jim <http://english.stackexchange.com/users/17956/jim> Nov 18
'13 at 16:59
<http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/138172/can-someone-explain-hmmm#comment283776_138172>

4

Hmmmm... no additional context? It could be used to express annoyance, but
it could be used to express other sentiments as well, such as "I hadn't
thought of it that way before" or "let me think about this some more for a
moment" or "I'm not so sure I agree with that." More here
<http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/hmm>. – J.R.
<http://english.stackexchange.com/users/18220/j-r> Nov 18 '13 at 17:02
<http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/138172/can-someone-explain-hmmm#comment283778_138172>

Ah yes, the "I hadn't thought of that before" usage. Good – Jim
<http://english.stackexchange.com/users/17956/jim> Nov 18 '13 at 17:03
<http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/138172/can-someone-explain-hmmm#comment283779_138172>

Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>