[CCWG-ACCT] WP3 - Call for Volunteers

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Thu Jul 2 02:45:00 UTC 2015

Dear Leon

Thanks for these thought starters.

May I suggest as we start this work perhaps it would be useful to have
staff to compile a list of items under various accountability headings
(e.g transparency, financial accountability, accountable behaiviour to
community members, and other items you have included in the thought
starters etc) from the existing documents and reviews that ICANN has
undertaken over the last 7 years or more to define the accountability of
staff, SO/ACs etc.   In particular the documents for review should include:

  * The Affirmation of Accountabilities in 2010 (and follow on
    recommendations)
  * The ICANN Accountability and Transparency Frameworks and Principles
    in 2008 (attached, as it is hard to find on the present ICANN
    website), and
  * The various One World Trust Reports on ICANN Accountability
    Benchmarks and Metrics
    (eg.https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-03-04-en )

If we have this list of relevant paragraphs under various heads of
responsibilities, we will have a first document of existing commitments
which we can review and then suggest amendment or augmentation.

I suggest that this will speed up our considerations.

For instance the relevant sections of the 2008 principles could be:

  * Commitments to Transparency in the ICANN Bylaws
  * Documentary Information Disclosure Policy
  * Responding to Information Requests
  * The consultative planning process by the ICANN community sets
    strategic direction and determines operational priorities and budgets;
  * The schedule of reviews of ICANN’s structure according to Article
    IV, Section 4 of the ICANN bylaws;
  * Translation Principles that guide the translation of documents
    within the ICANN community;
  * Consultation Principles that guide the consultation processes that
    are used to generate community input on ICANN issues;
  * A statement of expected standards of behavior which outlines the
    standards of behavior expected of those who participate in the ICANN
    process.

This of course is not complete, but it will give us a start.

Best

Paul

--
Dr Paul Twomey