[CCWG-ACCT] Who is managing the lawyers and what have they beenasked to do?

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Tue Jul 7 12:29:08 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Firstly I think facts speak for themselves, but it is our understanding of
them - including how they change through the accumulation of further facts
- that changes over time. And I am not a scientist. Nor a lawyer :-)

On Avri's broad point, it does summon up a nub of the debate. I reiterate
for the record that my concern with ICANN's post-transition reality is that
power is concentrated from the status quo (NTIA - Board, with community
advice) into a newly powerful and concentrated single entity - the ICANN
Board.

The purpose of a membership or designator model is to distribute power into
the global multistakeholder community, as organised through the SO/AC
structure, which is how ICANN organises the various stakeholders with
interests in the DNS.

There's no claim of perfection in such a model. Quite the opposite. The
whole point of a distribution of power is to share accountability and
responsibility more broadly.

The "voluntary" model concentrates power in one place to an unhealthy
degree. It is difficult for me to understand how anyone could accept a
clear worsening of accountability and concentration of power that it
represents, compared with the status quo.

Seems to me the sole difference between members and designators comes down
to how strong you want the authority of the community to be. Neither
represents "total" power: there is no abrogation in either of the Board's
responsibility to govern ICANN consistent with its limited mission and
consistent with the global public interest.

All that either offers is an acknowledgement that authority in the DNS
community should lie with stakeholders. Organised through the SOs and ACs.

That's the same as where authority in the RIR community lies.

As I understand it, it is also pretty similar to where authority in the
protocols community lies.

It isn't clear to me why the names community would settle for a less
reliable and reputable model.

Anyhow, much fodder for thought as we come to Paris. I think we have to
acknowledge that the differences here are of degree, except in regards to
the voluntary model. That one stands on its own as a unique reallocation of
authority into a single place in a manner that would create serious risks
for all of us in assuring the stability and security of the DNS.

best
Jordan

On 7 July 2015 at 23:52, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To start,  I believe that facts are just things that people believe to
> be the case.  I try not to speak of anything stronger that a belief.
> Both my personal history and world history, even history of science -
> that bastion of fact, shows me that yesterday's Fact is often just a
> matter of prejudice, superstition and point of view.
>
> In terms of the accountability problem with the membership model, it has
> been discussed before.  Fairly extensively. Some of the gaps such as
> those exposed by the UA have been eliminated, but others have not.  Some
> involve the degree to which the various SOAC are really the solid
> organizations we portray.  As I wrote in an earlier message where i
> spoke of the SOAC themselves:
> > Having been a member or observer of many of these entities I have fond
> > that they are often disorganized, ruled by a few strong personalities in
> > a sea of apathy, and given to making up rules on the fly when needed.
> > They do not even necessarily follow the rules they have agreed to in the
> > charters, though some do, not all of them.  And for the most part, though
> > they are supposed to transparent, most aren't.
>
> Are these structures really fit of unchecked rule?  How can we show that?
>
> For me the primary deficit is the loss of checks and balances.
>
> The current system relies on a set of checks and balances between the
> Board and the rest of the community.  The current problem is that the
> power of the rest of the community seem too weak to many, allowing the
> Board to seemingly work  without any checks on its activities.
>
> By strengthening the community in the designator model, we strengthen
> the set of checks and balance between the Board and the rest of the
> community.   By doing so, we increase accountability.
>
> There is a reciprocity in this notion of accountability, one that does
> not require external oversight. We vote them in,  can appeal the board
> in a serious manner and will  even be able to  vote them out by some yet
> to be determined procedure.  And the Board, can review the degree to
> which the stakeholder groups are fulfilling their mandate to represent
> the larger community within the ICANN mission.  In a sense there is
> mutual reciprocal oversight. The Board and the rest of the community
> check each other and establish a functional balance.  Most of the this
> CCWG's activities are working on the details of these check and balances.
>
> That is other than the grand reorganization of ICANN into a membership
> organization.  Something that leaves the current check and balances
> behind and attempts to create a major new structure.
>
> In the designator model the Board can make decisions and we can appeal
> them. And we make recommendations and give advise the Board needs to
> give it serious consideration on penalty of appeal. In extreme case they
> can be removed from their duties and we can be subjected to  discussions
> of reorganization.

> [...]

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *