[CCWG-ACCT] Who is managing the lawyers and what have they beenasked to do?

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Tue Jul 7 15:26:33 UTC 2015

Actually this is a more important point than appears at first sight.

ICANN has a role in respect of ALL TLDs.

What exactly that role is, is open to some mild interpretation, but it
is undeniable that it HAS a (minimally small but maximally important) role.

The class "ccNSO" is a subset of the class "ccTLD".

We need to design accountability mechanisms that allow all members of
the class "ccTLD" to have real, effective accountability of the actions
of ICANN.

It's no good saying "well, IANA is (currently) doing a good job. The
question is how can you entrench checks and balances, since in the past
they have not only NOT done such a good job, but have attempted to
misuse their position (e.g. by wilfully refusing zone updates for
commercial advantage -- just ask .NZ!)

Nigel