[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for WP3 | 8 July

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Jul 8 16:18:51 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG Accountability WP3 on 8 July will be available
here:  https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53783267

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Brenda

Action Items

Action: Leon's document to be uploaded to the wiki.

Notes

WP3 Meeting #2 -- 8th July 2015

These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript.

1. Welcome and roll-call

Alan Greenberg calling in.

2. Review of Action Items from call #1

Please review the geographic review document, noted in the reading list and recently sent to the
mailing list.

The Board will act in Dublin, after a period of delay the document will be

acted on.   The final document hasn't yet be present to the board for

action.  Expected that will be implemented, included some degree of

self-selection for some small islands, but the overall structure of 5

regions will remain, with some self determination to be considered.

Asks why the paper is particularly relevant?  Perhaps in that it doesn't do much to address
diversity issues.

Comment: Was the large and populous region of the Asia Pacific fairly represented? Could the number
of regions be
increased, perhaps to 7.  But this represents the current option on geographic regions in ICANN.
But there is discussion of sub-regional groupings.

 Volunteers to populate sub-groups.

Haven't noticed any until an hour ago, when one participant asked to join the staff accountability
sub-groups.

sub-groups:  SO/AC accountability, staff and board accountability, Diversity

* Diversity -  <https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Diversity>
https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Diversity

* SO/AC accountability -

 <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53783727>
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53783727

* Staff accountability -

 <https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Staff+accountability>
https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Staff+accountability

Please add name on the relevant wiki page or make your interest known to staff:
<mailto:acct-staff at icann.org> acct-staff at icann.org

What are the work stream 2 issue in regards to each of the accountability, transparency, diversity
issues.

We should not remain silent on diversity in the IRP panel or in the SO/AC accountability

Presentation of a draft document on SO/AC accountability.  Based on a

review of documents on the reading list.  Identifying mechanisms already

in place.  Leon, "preliminary inventory of existing accountability

mechanisms for SO/AC".  Will be shared with the group.

Many of the AoC issues are targeting board and staff rather than the SO/AC

Bylaws, leaves open for each SO/AC to consider accountability/transparency

in their own procedures.  We might dive into these to see how they address

this. And make broad recommendations, but not in details.

SO bylaws must be approved by the Board.  ACs do not have to do this.

Jan S. The SO/AC gain very significant powers under the proposals, but

preliminary review see there are almost no provisions that hold the SO/AC

accountable to their own or the broader Internet community. This is a

problem.

Jan is right.  And we know that the groups in ICANN only represent a very

small subset of the larger community.  Can make sure that those

participating are accountable to their own membership.

ICANN talks about the need for diversity, but we don't do a lot about it.

What is different is now significant new powers are about to be given to

the SO/AC, and perhaps these issues cannot be put off further.  Even to

WS2.

Identify and itemize issues, and relate to any WS1 issue.

Do we need to make each constituency accountable?  We are looking at a

complex path.  The problem is implementability.

When talking about SO/AC accountability, we talk about accountability to

the community (i.e. other SO/AC), then the community it represents.

Are we talking about accountability of the GNSO, or SGs or constituencies.

 Is it a self-governance issue, or to be dealt with by some outside agent.

 Do we really trust the "community".  We are empowering the community

collectively.

We want to hold the Board accountable, but concern also about the

community.  We need to find a way to do something, but be careful about

where we put our trust.

Raise as objectives or questions.  So they are accountable within their

own community and the community as a whole

Sub group of WP1 and weighting mechanisms. ACs looks at broader issues than ICANN.

Action: Leon's document to be uploaded to the wiki.

Meeting times for the WP3 calls, which are the correct dates and times.

The calendar invites are correct.  Next call Friday 10th at 06:00 UTC.

Staff confirm the calendar  invites are accurate.

When will we have follow-up discussion on the lawyer's presentation?

Homework for the group to review and a wider discussion in the group about the models.  Build
consensus is Paris. And on the call next Tuesday.

Calls scheduled to accommodate other CCWG calls and to, as possible, share the burden of
inconvenient call times.

If you wish please use the presented document of SO AC existing mechanisms as a basic template.

END