[CCWG-ACCT] Statement of accountability scope and limitations; fact based evidence

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Sun Jul 12 10:19:01 UTC 2015

Please find inline

el

--
Sent from Dr Lisse's iPhone 6

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 17:51, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:

> [....]

> The *fact* is that many *believe* NTIA has provided a backstop.  I assert this effect has been negligible at best.

I have always believed the above to be true.

However this statement by the Chairman of the ICANN Board is contradictory to ICANN's position in at least one recent court case.

In my country misleading the court is frowned upon. Very seriously.

> Moreover, NTIA’s administration of the IANA contract has created more problems of trust than it has solved.  Apparently not many in the community realize how NTIA’s approach toward administering the IANA contract has been inimical to transparency and accountability of the IANA function.  I fully expect that the expiration of the contract will result in improvements transparency and accountability simply because NTIA will no longer be in the loop.
[...]

This is an important admission which confirms what I have been saying all along and what the SLE Design Team of the CWG has encountered.

It obviously needs to be addressed in WS1 as we don't need expectations of accountability but mechanisms in place before the transition can go ahead.

greetings, el