[CCWG-ACCT] An mplication of accountability models being discussed

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Sun Jul 12 18:05:44 UTC 2015

Dear George

With respect, we've been over this ground before.  In general, past
practice, while interesting is not relevant to our discussion.  We are
designing an accountability mechanism to bind the Board and community  going
forward under changed circumstances.  In doing so we have been positing
(through the stress test process) some modes of failure that we might
anticipate.  The bounds of that consideration are the bounds of
reasonableness and expectation.  We cannot defend against all risks and some
risks are more likely  than others.  For that reason we've not considered a
response to the zombie apocalypse :-).   But we have (and in my view must)
consider many  situations that have not occurred in the past as risks that
may eventuate in the future.  For me, past disagreements with the Board
serve only one purpose -- to be a plausible predictor for likely future
disputes.  At a minimum, the accountability mechanisms must address
perceived past accountability failures -- i.e. these lists -- but we don't
need to spend too much time dredging up old disputes and resolving them
factually.  All of them (even the ones with contended facts) are plausible
future scenarios that would need to be addressed even had they not
previously been perceived to have occurred.

As I said, we've had the "how bad is the Board" discussion before.  I
confess I have played the game a bit myself.  But in the end it isn't the
question.  Even assuming the current Board is filled with saints who never
have erred, they will not be the future Board, who may be saints as well,
but who may be sinners.

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig
paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com