[CCWG-ACCT] [WP1] updated paper: Recall of the ICANN Board

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Thu Jul 23 11:13:13 UTC 2015

On 23/07/2015 11:18, Jordan Carter wrote:
> See my edits in the files beginning with 2015-07-23.

One comment: I thought the general view in Paris was that NomCom would
not nominate members of an interim Board. I doubt the practicality of
requiring it to do so.

That seems to have changed; perhaps I missed some discussion. Or
misperceived the general view.

Requiring NomCom to put up alternates at the AGM creates the "people
standing in the shadows waiting for a chance" that were mentioned as a
prospect to be avoided, and was accepted as a reason for not requiring
SOs and ACs to nominate alternates with every appointment.

Moreover, how will NomCom find people willing to commit to drop
everything and become an interim director in the unlikely event of a
Board spill, knowing that it is highly unlikely this will ever come to
pass?

It is surely much easier to ask someone "Will you agree to serve as a
director now?" than "Will you agree to serve as a director in an
unspecified number of months, should some very unlikely event come to
pass?".

For these reasons, I think that excusing NomCom from nominating interim
directors is a better choice.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929