[CCWG-ACCT] [WP1] New section - ICANN Community Assembly

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Mon Jul 27 08:28:22 UTC 2015

Hi

Agree that having two entities is excessive - that said there are some
differences, as I understand them from the texts/mails:

The ICA is supposed to " be a forum where the use of any of the powers
is discussed across the whole ICANN community – *before* any of the
powers are exercised."

And the PAF is "to bring together board, staff and the SO/ACs in a
public exchange of views and questions and comments about accountability
issues - a sort of open round table, done at an ICANN meeting once a year"

The first is about a potential exercising of a community power, the
second is a more general discussion on accountability matters.

One could merge the two, create something with a more appropriate name
such as ICANN Accountability Forum (as assembly sounds very top down and
UN-like) and make it a once a year OR as appropriate (when a community
power is contemplated being used).

Matthew

Matthew Shears
Global Internet Policy and Human Rights