[CCWG-ACCT] Draft Agenda & Papers - WP1 Meeting #22 (28 July at 19h UTC)

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Tue Jul 28 12:03:56 UTC 2015

Well said ;-)
GAC is still working on this…
Jorge

Von: accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org [mailto:accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org] Im Auftrag von Mark Carvell
Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015 14:01
An: Robin Gross
Cc: Accountability Cross Community
Betreff: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Draft Agenda & Papers - WP1 Meeting #22 (28 July at 19h UTC)

Dear Robin

Things are already changing though: for example following an ATRT recommendation, the GAC is now able to intervene on public interest grounds in the early stages of policy development.

The current problem is that the participation of representatives of governments and their citizens in community-wide voting procedures may prove unworkable if not technically impossible (some GAC reps at national level are taking legal advice on this). Furthermore, these procedures may risk subordinating the global public interest if the GAC position on an issue (which conceivably it could also have initiated) were to be outvoted by other constituencies for example. In that scenario, I would expect that the view of governments would be that such community decisions would be rendered fundamentally unsafe.

Such constraints on participation present challenges to how government representatives fulfil their obligations in the new architecture of ICANN accountability and community empowerment but they should not be insurmountable: we will have to be inventive with regard to the precise modalities for governments to opt into these community-wide processes to ensure that the public interest is served when high level decisions are taken by the community that will impact on the Internet's critical infrastructure.

Kind regards

Mark

Mark Carvell
United Kingdom Representative on the GAC