[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: Draft Agenda & Papers - WP1 Meeting #22 (28 July at 19h UTC)

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 28 18:49:12 UTC 2015

I will not be able to attend the call since it directly overlaps with
an ALAC call that I am chairing. Here are several comments that I
would appreciate being considered as if I was on the call and raised my hand.

Voting Mechanism: As mentioned on the CCWG call, If an AC/SO wants to
withdraw from participating, there should not be a delay. If there
is, their lack of voting should not count against the action.
Otherwise they may effectively block the action by making it
impossible or almost impossible to achieve sufficient votes.
Alternatively, the counting method could take this into account (as I
think Holly suggested in the chat). But what is harm in making
withdrawal immediate?

Community Forum. Perhaps add Board to para 3 in addition to
non-participating ACs.

Budget veto: I am still uncomfortable with the concept of there being
two separate budgets, one for IANA and one for the rest of ICANN.
Normally, from a fiscal point of view, there is only a single budget
which encompasses everything. Surely the funds to be used for IANA
come from the same revenue pot as the rest of the expenses. Do we
have confirmation from ICANN FInance that the words we have there make sense?

Related to this, at the start, we talk about a veto of the IANA
budget and a veto of the ICANN budget (para 3) but in the rest of the
document, we only talk about a single veto. Is the process repeated
for each? We need some clarity here.

Director Removal: Rarely can we convene a new teleconference and get
all of the necessary people together in a 15 day window. Is what we
are proposing possible, and what happens if the 15-day delay is not
met (para 5).

In section d, is the 3/4 vote of the "5" votes of the community mech,
or 3/4 of whatever internal voting the AC/SO has?

Para 7-d The 3/5 requirement seems to be lowering the threshold from
other votes (according to the newly proposed vote-counting mechanism).

Lastly, should we specify whether a replacing term counts against the
3-term limit on directors?

Recall of entire Board: Is the NomCom prepared to name interim
directors PRIOR to the vote? If the vote fails, that means they have
compromised their secrecy of potential but not-yet-named candidates.

Alan