[CCWG-ACCT] way forward and minority statements

Thomas Rickert thomas at rickert.net
Wed Jul 29 14:57:11 UTC 2015

All,
as you will remember, we have discussed our suggested way forward and the question of minority statements in our call yesterday. Nonetheless, we would like to offer some more information on this.

We would like to present to the community not only a draft report, but a consensus proposal. We do hope to have reached consensus on all questions so there will be no need for an additional determination of consensus after the public comment period unless the community input requires us to revisit substantial parts of our proposal.

1. We suggest you file a minority statement if you object to the overall set of recommendations. The minority statement will be referred to in an appendix to the report.

2. We suggest you provide us with your dissenting opinion to individual questions so that we can include it in the body of the report. We already heard from individuals that they appreciate this option as they do not wish their objection to an individual aspect of the report to be perceived as opposition to the overall approach we are taking. If you consider using this option, please use the following format to help add value to the proposal:

i. raise your concern
ii. provide a rationale for your concern
iii. please offer an alternative suggestion

In order for your statements (both minority statements and dissenting opinions on individual questions) to be published at the same time as the report will be published, they need to be received by rapporteurs, co-chairs or staff by 12.00 UTC on the 31st of July.

Thanks,
Thomas

PS: In case we do not reach consensus but can only present a draft, the situation is not different from the first report and we will not have minority statements for such report. According to our charter, minority statements offer a chance to oppose to a consensus. In the absence of consensus, there is no need for minority statements. Please note that in this case, we will still allow for minority statement to be added to our final report.