[CCWG-ACCT] Budgetary veto/control solves the wrong problem and avoids solving the right one

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 29 15:26:50 UTC 2015

My normal refrain on many of these discussions is
that if we trust AC/SOs to appoint Board members,
we should also presume that they are mature and
will not use any of these powers in ways that are
less than honourable and free from vindictive purposes.

However, with some of the talk going on about the
lessened position that ACs should have in this
process, I sadly CAN see how there could be an
attempt to gang up on one group...

Alan

At 29/07/2015 08:25 AM, Chris Disspain wrote:
>Hi Mathieu,
>
>See below
..

> [...]
>>>the moment, that is an extraordinary item
>>>(i.e. it is not automatically budgeted for
>>>each year or each X years) and the process of
>>>approval involves, in essence, the Board
>>>approving it. Under the veto provision, it
>>>would be possible for the ASO, ccNSO and GNSO
>>>to vote against the budget because of that line item.
>>I note that it would require unanimity outside
>>of ALAC to veto the budget in that
>>scenario.  Worth questioning whether that is a
>>useful safeguard or an interference into the matters of ALAC.
>>
>>Another scenario that was considered by this
>>group was a proposal from the Board to allocate
>>a significant part of Icann funds to a summit
>>on Internet governance, for example. Once
>>again, the question is whether the veto and the
>>associated threshold provide a useful safeguard or undue interference.
>
>Well, I think a community wide concern about a
>general budget item may be different from a
>concern about an AC or SO specific item. Leaving
>aside the desirability of a veto, I would expect
>a ‘community' wide concern about a significant
>budget expense on Internet governance to carry a
>high persuasive weight with the Board. I think a
>concern about a budget expense specific to an SO
>or AC is different and may deserve different treatment.
>

>>>Equally, the ALAC, ccNSO and ASO could vote
>>>against a gTLD industry summit line item or a
>>>non-commercial users meeting cost. And,
>>>entirely the reverse could happen with SOs and
>>>ACs 'horse-trading' with each other so that
>>>they each get their (to quote you) needs, concerns, demands, objections met.
>>Not being a native English speaker, I can't be
>>sure of my understanding of horse-trading.
>>However, once again it's worth considering
>>whether a cross community discussion should
>>take place on which needs, concerns, demands,
>>from the various SOs or ACs should be funded or
>>not, whether we qualify it as "horse-trading"
>>or "cross community coordination in the budgetary process”.
>

>My apologies for using unclear colloquialisms. I
>mean that SOs and ACs could ’negotiate’ amongst
>themselves to secure their own particular
>’needs, concerns or demands’. And they would be
>doing so without any fiduciary responsibility to
>ICANN ('We will agree to your summit if you
>agree to ours and we both block theirs’). Not
>necessarily an issue provided we are happy to create this environment.
>

>>And once again, the Board gets to propose the
>>budget, just like now, and the veto process
>>would be exceptional and requiring
>>supermajority. Only 33% support and it moves on.
>
>You seem to be working on 67% requirement to
>block rather than a 75%. Or to use your way of
>putting it, you are working on only 33% support
>required rather than only 25%. That would mean
>that in my scenario of 20 votes split between 4
>SOs/ACs, 13.4 votes would be enough to veto.
>Leaving aside whether you would round up to 14
>or down to 13, that scenario means that the veto
>wouldn’t even need to be unanimous across 3
.not necessarily a problem as

)