[CCWG-ACCT] Revised draft for Stress Test 18 and bylaws change (after our second call today)

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Fri Jul 31 02:15:31 UTC 2015

I regret I was not able to join  you today.  Like Ed, I had to work.

Unfortunately, I think that this solution does not satisfy the NTIA’s criteria.  Indeed, when read in conjunction with the notes of the meeting which explicitly acknowledge that the GAC may change its definition of consensus, it goes a long way in the wrong direction.

We note a truism – that the GAC has in the past provided consensus advice to the Board triggering the strong consultation requirement.  And we note the truism that the GAC is free at any time to modify its operating principle.  No one can doubt either.

But the gap remains – who defines what constitutes “advice that is supported by consensus” triggering the obligation to enter into good faith discussions.  As suggested by the notes, we are implicitly accepting that the GAC’s definition of its own consensus controls.  I would decline to follow that route.  The  Bylaw should leave the Board free to reject a designation of “consensus” by the GAC that it determined was not really supported by true consensus.  I imagine that some of my GAC colleagues think differently and think that the GAC’s determination of what constitutes consensus is binding on the Board. But that means that

To put it in concrete terms, imagine that the GAC adopts a rule of something like “very rough consensus” and sends the Board a recommendation backed by, say, 70% of those governments who opined.  Is the Board obliged to accept that designation or may it say that it has no mandatory negotiation obligation because that was not true consensus?  What about 60%?

If the bylaws are read to allow the GAC to define consensus as it wishes and bind the Board to finding a mutually acceptable solution, I am reasonably sure we will not be seen as meeting the NTIA criteria …

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig

 <mailto:paul.rosenzweigesq at redbranchconsulting.com> paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com

O: +1 (202) 547-0660