[CCWG-ACCT] way forward and minority statements

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Jul 31 08:23:13 UTC 2015

On 31-Jul-15 09:49, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>

>>>  But I do not find “free flow if information” on the UN list of fundamental human rights.   Where is that right stated as fundamental?

Just in case anyone missed robin repsonse to Steve (I did originally)

Article 19
1. Everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference.
2. Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right
shall include freedom to
seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless
of frontiers, either orally,
in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media
of his choice.
3. The exercise of the rights provided for in paragraph 2 of this
article carries with it special
duties and responsibilities. It may therefore be subject to certain
restrictions, but these shall
only be such as are provided by law and are necessary:
(a) For respect of the rights or reputations of others;
(b) For the protection of national security or of public order (ordre
public), or of public health or
morals.

> I can envisage in the future that computers will have rights once they become sentient – so no doubt they will want that right ☺

I always find it interesting when one uses such arguments.    Until such
time as machines are defined as human, this will not be a concern as
these reight only apply to humans.

See Bicentennial Man
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182789/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_38>, my personal
favorite Robin Williams film.