[CCWG-ACCT] [WP1] Update to 5A.2 on Voting Weights

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Fri Jul 31 19:40:12 UTC 2015

Thanks Greg, this makes sense to me.

Best,
Keith

On Jul 31, 2015, at 3:37 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com<mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com>> wrote:

Robin and All,

I've gone back and re-read Section 5A (Community Mechanism As Sole Member Model).  In this Section 5A.2, we are only discussing voting in the Community Mechanism.  There is no discussion or participation (robust or otherwise) in the Community Mechanism; just votes.  Thus there are no liaisons or advisors in the Community Mechanism.  As such the language expressing this third model is inaccurate.

The discussion and participation takes place in the Community Forum, prior to the SO/AC's deciding how to cast their votes.  The Community Forum is described in Section 5A.3, and there is no mention in there of "liaison" OR "advisory" status.  As stated there"

Importantly, it would also create an opportunity for Advisory Committees that aren’t currently participating in the Community Mechanism to offer their insight, advice and recommendations on the proposed exercise of a community power.

That said, we could modify the language like this:

A third [minority] view is that there should be four votes each for the ASO, ccNSO and GNSO, and two votes for ALAC.  The GAC, the SSAC and the RSSAC would participate fully in discussions in the Community Forum (5A.3) but would not vote in the Community Mechanism.

I also think this title ("Influence in the Community Mechanism") is misleading.  "Influence" is far too broad a word.  Let's just call it "Voting in the Community Mechanism."

I've said before that we needed to clarify the relationship between the Community Forum and the Community Mechanism, and we haven't really done so.  This confusion is the fruit of that lack of clarity.

Greg