[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Mon Jun 1 14:19:05 UTC 2015

At the risk of belaboring a point, permit me a moment to explain why I think history is both vital and important (and this is without regard to how one might read that history):

1) No governance system of any sort is capable of being equally effective against all possible challenges/abuses/situations.  All systems (e.g. one of judicial superiority) are prone to certain risks (e.g. judicial malfeasance) that are inherently less capable of being managed out of the system.

2) As a consequence of that reality, it is incumbent upon those designing a governance system to prioritize risks and build the accountability mechanism in a way that addresses the most likely and/or most consequential risks with a higher degree of certainty than those of lower likelihood/consequence/importance.  This is no more than an exercise in risk assessment and risk management.

3)  With all due respect to Jonathan’s view, I believe that experience is definitely relevant to that risk assessment.  It is =not= the only relevant factor, to be sure, but it bears on the question.  We do not write on a blank slate.

All that having been said, I certainly agree with Jonathan that the debate is not advanced by personalizing the question or using the discussion as a forum for relitigating old disagreements.  To the extent comments I may have made contributed to that perception, I humbly apologize.  I will, however, continue to advocate for the view that past experience is germane to our discussions.

Warm regards,

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig

 <mailto:paul.rosenzweigesq at redbranchconsulting.com> paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com