[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Mon Jun 1 14:35:23 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-01 15:24, Avri Doria wrote:
> Or my belief that by creating these membership organizations we do not
> solve the accountability problem but compartmentalize it, so that we
> need to insure the accountabilty of all of the independent UAs instead
> of ICANN as an overall entity.  Membership moves the problem from
> accountabity of one ICANN to the accountabilty of the many UA.

Avri,

What is it you fear that these "unaccountable UA" might do?

As I understand it, their only power is that they have standing to sue
ICANN for failing to comply with its own bylaws. Is there anything else
that they can do?

Presumably, if the complaint is ill-founded, it will fail. If it is well
founded, it deserves to succeed. I don't see how accountability for the
decision to raise the issue even arises.

Perhaps you could clarify where you believe the harm lies?

Malcolm.

--
             Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
    Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                  London Internet Exchange Ltd
            21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

          Company Registered in England No. 3137929