[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Mon Jun 1 14:52:38 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-01 15:45, Avri Doria wrote:
> On 01-Jun-15 10:35, Malcolm Hutty wrote:
>> What is it you fear that these "unaccountable UA" might do?
>
> That they not be accountable to the stakeholder they are allegedly
> accountable to.

Forgive me for saying that that sounds a little like circular reasoning.

Let me put it another way. If the only reason for having members is so
that they can sue ICANN in court, and the only lawsuit that they can
bring (that only they can bring) is one alleging that ICANN has failed
to comply with its own bylaws, why not make "everyone in the world" a
member?
(Or at least, some approximation of this, like "anybody who asked to
be").

Then these members wouldn't be accountable to anyone, except themselves.

But so what? Where is the harm?

All they'd be able to do is force ICANN to comply with its bylaws.
Isn't that a good thing?

--
             Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
    Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                  London Internet Exchange Ltd
            21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

          Company Registered in England No. 3137929