[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon Jun 1 15:01:06 UTC 2015

Hi Avri,

> Do you mean like my strong belief that having a better chance in court
> when suing (something we have not done but could have) is _not_ a valid
> reason for creating all of the organizational upheaval required for
> membership.

No.

> Or my belief that by creating these membership organizations we do not
> solve the accountability problem but compartmentalize it, so that we
> need to insure the accountabilty of all of the independent UAs instead
> of ICANN as an overall entity.  Membership moves the problem from
> accountabity of one ICANN to the accountabilty of the many UA.  We move
> the problem of accountability to a space which is historically not very
> transparent in its bottom-up mechanisms.

I don't agree we're moving ICANN's accountability problems anywhere but I
do agree there are existing accountability and transparency problems with
the proposed membership vehicles that need to be looked at. That's why I've
pressed Fadi to fulfil an idea he proferred at the 2013 NCPH intercessional
meeting to run Transparency International audits on SOAC's to help us see
where the problems are. I last spoke to him about this at the October Los
Angeles meeting where he expressed concern over the overloaded workload of
the SOAC's but felt this could be done within a two year time frame. Of
course, he won't be around then so that's a promise that may go
unfulfilled.  I still think the idea, which was Fadi's, is a good one.

> Happy to still be able to proffer potential garbage on this list.

Given that your posts are usually insightful, factual and honest, even when
I disagree with them, I doubt I'd ever classify your thoughts as such. Yet
even were I to self-assess them as such I would hope you would continue to
post any and all thoughts you consider relevant as the true diversity and
beauty of the multi-stakeholder model depends upon everyone contributing
what they, and no one else, feels is relevant to the discussion.

Ed